Install Pervasive Server Version 10 or 11
Added: 01/22/08 SS
Upgrade Steps for Pervasive Version 11
Upgrading to Pervasive version 11 can be done without calling RDP support.
All users must exit RDP during the upgrade,
including the IRM and all interface workstations.
Schedule this installation at a time when the system can be down for
approximately 4 - 8 hours AND when RDP support is open. RDP 24-hour
support is not available for Pervasive Updates.
Hardware Requirements: Workstations must be Windows 7 or higher with at
least one (2) gigabytes of RAM, and the data server must be Windows 2008 or
2012 with at least eight gigabytes.
- To install Pervasive P.SQL for Windows, you must have full
administrator-level rights on the machine where it will be installed.
This includes the Server and all workstations (Pervasive Client installations).
Pervasive Server Installation
- Uninstall prior Pervasive version. Customers should never install
an update over a prior version. Follow all steps listed in
Uninstall Pervasive which uses images
from 9.52 as a reference. Steps to uninstall should be the same
regardless of version. Be sure to reboot when the steps indicate to
insure the old version is removed correctly.
- Create a Pervasive folder in the RDPNT/RDP directory.
For example, with the F:/RDPNT/RDP folder selected, click File from the main
menu and select New/Folder. Enter Pervasive as the new folder name.
- Copy the entire Contents from the PSQL installation disk into
the new F:/RDPNT/RDP/Pervasive folder. For example, select D:/ (disk
drive) from My Computer, select all files, right-click and select
Select the F:/RDPNT/RDP/Pervasive folder, right-click and Paste the PSQL
disk contents into the newly created Pervasive folder.
- From the Start menu, select Run, enter "notepad", and click OK to open a
new Notepad document. Enter the License Key for your Pervasive
installation disk (located on the outside of the CD package).
- Click File then Save As, and navigate to the RDPNT/RDP/Pervasive folder
and save the document as PervasiveLicenseKey.txt.
- Follow all steps listed in Install Pervasive Server Version 10
Be sure to reboot when the steps indicate to insure the old version is
- Create ODBC connection for RDP.
Pervasive's website offers the following link for
Error Installing ODBC driver.
- Navigate to the following location on your RDP Data server
and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Pervasive Software\PSQL\samples.
Select the Samples.btr file and copy into your newly created RDPNT\RDP\Pervasive
folder. Do not copy the
Samples.btr file from the disk.
- Test connections.
See Pervasive for details on hardware, down-time,
Review all Upgrade Steps as set forth above. When ready to perform
Step 5 "Install Pervasive Server Version 10", continue with these
Installation Steps. Installation can now be done via the copied files
in your RDPNT/RDP/Pervasive folder or directly from the PSQL installation
disk. The installation steps for version 11 are relatively the same.
If installing from the copied files on the data server, choose the
file Autorun.exe (located in the RDPNT/RDP/Pervasive folder on the data
server). When installing from the PSQL CD, selection of Autorun.exe is
Server version first (32-bit or 64-bit based on individual customer needs), then install either the
Client or Work Group (one, but not both) and accept all the default settings for
file location etc.
At the InstallShield Wizard welcome screen, click Next.
At the License Agreement screen, select "I accept the terms..." and click Next.
At the PSQL License Key screen, enter your License Key provided on the installation disk.
From the Setup Type, select Complete and click Next. The
Complete setup (recommended for most users) installs all the Pervasive
PSQL v10 components using the default options and locations.
At the Ready to Install the Program screen, click Install.
The Installation process may take several minutes as PSQL
configures, copies, installs and deletes files. This may take
When complete, click Finish.
The Pervasive registration information opens in Explorer.
Registration can be completed at
at a later time. Copy the file samples.btr on the data server from
"c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Pervasive
Software\PSQL\samples" and paste it into the RDPNT\RDP\Pervasive folder.
Continue with the upgrade process by
moving to the testing steps.
Test the Active Installation
Added: 12/20/07 SS
Updated: 7/03/08 SS per KW
- Select Pervasive System Analyzer from the Start - Programs - Pervasive
- At the Pervasive System Analyzer welcome screen, click Next.
- From the Pervasive System Analyzer (PSA), select the "Test Active Installation"
radio button. Check the boxes for "Test network communication",
engine", and "Test relational engine" and click Next.
- At the Test Network Communication screen, enter the server name such as
RDPDATA (no \\ necessary) to designate the
target machine. Do not enter the IP address, as this does not verify
the DNS configuration.
- A successful test results in a message similar to that shown below:
- To complete the transactional tests,
- When testing the server installation, accept the default settings as
shown below, including the default samples directory setting. Click
NOTE: The RDPUsers Group must have full
control to the PSQL folder in this location. A
mapped drive is not necessary; however, access to this folder is needed in order for
relational engine tests to succeed.
- At the Test Relational Engine screen, select the "I want to run the relational tests"
radio button and click Next. To complete the relational test:
- On the Server, enter the Data server machine name. For the Engine DSN,
enter the RDP directory such as RDP01.
When complete, the results of the test are displayed in a screen similar to
that shown below:
If the tests fail, error messages are displayed as shown below. This
means you may be required to review DNS setup and ODBC connection setup.
- Once all three tests are completed successfully, view the log file.
Test failure may be due to user access rights to the data server Pervasive files. Check that
RDPUsers have full control to the following locations on your data server:
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Pervasive Software\PSQL
- RDPNT folder
- Click Finish.
- When installing the
Server version only,
manually create the ODBC connections to the RDP Directories.
Communication Protocol Must Only Have TCP/IP
- Open Pervasive Control Center from Start/Programs/Pervasive/PSQL10
- Select "Configure Microkernel Router" under the "Common Tasks Options"
- Click on Communication protocols.
- Confirm that SPXII and NETBIOS are unchecked. If not, uncheck them and
- Close the Pervasive Control Center.